St. Nicholas Parish


Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 6.05.24 PM

Website: www.nickchurch.org

Telephone: 847-864-1185

St. Nicholas Parish was officially established on July 20, 1887, when Archbishop James Feehan appointed Fr. Otto Groenebaum to “establish a German Catholic congregation at South Evanston, Ill.”  The formation of the parish was the culmination of years of hope and effort by a growing element in Evanston: German-speaking people, mostly from Luxembourg. St. Nicholas Parish has served a variety of immigrant groups over the years. St. Nicholas Parish strives for these ideals, set forth in our parish mission statement, in our worship, in celebration, and in outreach:  “We are the Body of Christ at St. Nicholas. Grounded in our diversity, we gather for worship, cherish the traditions of our Catholic faith, witness to the Gospel of Jesus, minister to others, and live as Christians in the world.”